Friday, May 15, 2009

Human Kindness.

Today I thought yeah, let's go out.
I went for a ride around my old neighborhood taking in all the sights and sounds of my city. 
I decided the best place to go to was the park, so there I set off to. 
I bought a newspaper full of boiled peanuts worth ten bucks (sigh... happiness) and sat on the pavement to eat them. As I ate I watched.
 I watched a little girl ask her mother for a balloon, " Amma, balloon venum! Amma balloon venum!"meaning, "Mother i want a balloon."
"Ippo vanda, nalikuh na vangare." meaning  "Now let's not, tomorrow I will buy it."
Satisfied the girl and her mother walked on.
 I watched as the cliched couple walked hand in hand,
 her head on his shoulder, 
Shiny teeth gleam in the night like headlights. 
The smell of jasmine I'm sure lingered about her.
The whole park was lit up beautifully, 
not with yellow light but white light. 
Bulbs of white light, like fairies in bubbles.
 I sigh. 
You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah,
She said
You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,

The beginning tune to 'Boston' began playing in my head as it always does when I see something beautiful. 
I turned away because I couldn't share this moment with you.
I got back onto the bike and decided it was time to leave.
I don't like feeling sad and happy at the same time.
I get on my bike and start off again. 
I decide I will have soup. 
It's comfort food. 
The old man asks me what I want. "Anna, mushroom soup venum."
 He smiles at me, I like his smile.
His eyes crinkle when he smiles, my favourite type of smile. 
He pours the soup in a cup and puts salty cornflakes on top.
He hands it to me and says I can sit on the ledge near the supermarket.
I go and sit there and think while I slurp my soup, which is hot and peppery. 
If there's no one beside you When your soul embarks Then I'll follow you into the dark
I realise that i'm humming this song and i've finished all the cornflakes in my soup,
My favourite part of soup.
Ah well, I guess this happens.

A shadow falls over me. I look up, it's the old man and he peers into my soup. 
He's holding a big spoonful of cornflakes over my cup of soup. i hold out the cup to him 
He gently pours it into my soup. I smile at him, he's already smiling my favourite smile. 
I go back to eating my soup, happy.  

Only Happy.
 

No comments: