Friday, October 9, 2009

It's pink and happy... or is it?

On monday I went with a friend to pick up his wacom. My colleges' new phase is to pick up wacoms. It's like a disease.

"you have one...? Chalo i'll get one too."

Not that we don need them. We do, desperately!

But using a wacom is like switching from a SLR to a DSLR, they're both cameras but unless you know what goes into using a SLR you will never learn to appreciate a DSLR.
It's the same with the wacom. Unless you are sure of sketching, you don appreciate the wacom.

When I got mine I did the following things:
1. I opened it up and went mad about the packaging and the graphics on the box.
2. I pulled out everything delicately and patiently read the manual.
3. I put everything back in and closed it up.

Following which I put it at the bottom of my cupboard and locked it.
I have not touched my wacom till a few days ago. It's been 4 months and in all that time I could not bring myself to open up that marvelous box as I knew, I knew I would not be able to appreciate it.

So why buy it you ask?
When someone hands you a 1000 rupees with no strings attached and it is from someone you trust and love, would you say no...?

You don have to use it right then but it's kind to take it.

So I worked on my sketching, my concepts,my flexibility between the two and figured jus how far the wacom can actually take me. At some point of time it is just you and not the wacom that can make a difference to your work.

The last few days i have grown dependant on my wacom and it's a lovely dependancy, one that will never let me down because I know it's mine and it's not going anywhere.
At the same time I am aware of the fact that the wacom does not give me ideas, it does not magically make research or conceptualisation easier.

That's all you.

Ok... I lost track of things, getting back to my friend buying one. This friend has been special to me in so many ways that not seeing him even one day seems weird. He's my alter ego but we share so many things that we are quite alike as well.
When he said we wanted a wacom all i thought was, 'yeah dude, you seriously need one.' not because his sketching skills are awesome, but because at one point in my life he taught me how to sketch. It's in him but he wants to forget it, i don't know why.
Maybe his friends aside from myself can also bring about the change.
The wacom will help him.
It is a novelty and also encouragement.
There is no fear when it comes to sketching with a wacom.

While we were at the imagine store, we came across a man selling helium balloons. "I want that, will you buy it for me." I asked randomly, expecting him to give the look so many boys before him have.
This balloon is bright and BIG...It is a hippie flower with a smiley in the middle. It now floats in my room languidly while I'm sitting out here typing this.
So...yes...he bought it for me on a whim.
He did not judge me though he did poke fun.
He didn't blink when he heard the price of the balloon. (I will not mention it)
And even though he said he didn't want me walking with him, he walked with me all the way.

My balloon is pink and happy. apart from this though, i also believe my balloon is evil.
When i wake up randomly at night I face it an inch from my face. That is quite scary!

I have realised that though it is a happy, pink balloon it is also something that is going to creep me out cos it floats too close to me. So my pink and happy balloon is kept outside to float about while i float into a soundless slumber, peacefully.

I just thought this was worth mentioning.

5 comments:

jemma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jemma said...

that was probably the wierdest post i have read...from where to where it the wents!

and ha ha! the balloon is quite funny...though i probably never want to be left alone with it now that yoiu ahve mentioned it's homicidal qualities

pooch said...

ha ha...it has gone phooooos now and my maid wanted to take it
but then i grew protective of my pink murderous balloon and said she couldn't have it...

I think i frighten myself sometimes heh heh

Ya know it is so irritating when ppl comment and then delete their comment... i'm so curious! did you do that jem?

Unknown said...

nice priceless.....and your friend sketching is awful....Jim

pooch said...

Jim was great...he had character and awesomness tht i have not seen in a long time :D